How Home Staging Can Help You Sell
A house is one of the strongest financial assets that anyone can have. So when it comes to selling, you don’t really need to spend a lot of money on repairs or renovations to realise a considerable return.
However, there’re some things that you can do to not necessarily increase the price of your home, but to make it more marketable and reduce the time on the market. One of those things is home staging.
Why stage your home?
Staging can be the secret to selling your house quickly. When done right, your house will attract more qualified and serious buyers. Selling your home quickly is the key to maximising sale value. Experts argue that after 45 days, 50 percent of homes sell after reducing the price at least once. At 120 days, 50 percent of sellers will have reduced their asking price multiple times, while 25 percent will have cut the price once.
Real estate experts claim that professionally staged homes receive their first offer in 30 days or less – on average – which is four months faster than non-staged homes. Staged homes look move-in ready and as a plus, research has shown that 63 percent of buyers pay more for move-in ready homes.
Facts about staged homes
- 90 percent of staged homes sell within 2 months
- Homes that sell within the one and a half months sell for 6 percent higher
- Staging a home before listing results in a 5-fold increase in offers
- Buyers tend to look at empty homes for 5 minutes compared to 40 minutes in furnished homes
- Potential purchasers, on average, form an opinion of the house within 15 seconds, and 90 percent find it hard to make a good decision in a home without furniture. A vacant home feels cold and impersonal, which makes it hard to visualise how furnishings will look/fit into the space.
- Staging results in 2 – 10 percent higher home values on average homes, and 20 – 50 percent on luxury homes
- 92 percent of buyers start their viewing online, and view around 12 homes on average. 87 percent say that home presentation makes a difference.
Staging your home
Home staging involves more than de-cluttering and arranging fresh flowers; you need to create a space that reflects a lifestyle that buyers want. So, getting a staging consultation should be your first step in getting your home ready to sell. Professional home stagers are trained to make the space appear bigger, brighter, and cleaner, while accentuating the positive features of your house, both inside and outside.
Staging is meant to make the home appeal to prospective buyers, not the current owner, and ultimately, sell the home faster and for the highest price possible. This often means taking out a lot of your family’s personality and presenting the home in a way that would suit the tastes of your target demographic. Whether you’re trying to stage the home yourself or you’re going to hire a professional stager, the first step is to give yourself a clean slate! Take any overly large furniture, personal family items or distinct decor and temporarily put them in storage so you can better present your home.
A little effort goes a long way when it comes to staging, and could make the difference between selling for your asking price and simply not selling at all. Consider staging as a necessary step to your home’s selling success!
Posted on December 31, 2015 | Home Staging